Len O's blog

400 vs 500 mg Flagyl?

Looking for advice: Is the 400 mg dosage (3 X per day) as effective as the 500 mg dosage?  I had the 400 mg strength custom blended because 500 mg is the default in Canada and I wanted to be as cautious as possible embarking on this more challenging part of the protocol.


So far, have been just fine after two pulses.  I saw that the protocol stated 400 mg or 500 mg depending on what's available locally.  Is there any reason that once should choose the 500 mg dosage instead or are both equally effective in the long term?


Many thanks, Len


Has anyone had eczema appear when treating with the CAPi or noted any references to Cpni and eczema?  Just wondered because I had it when I was a child then it disappeared for many, many years and it just reappeared out of the blue a week into my 1st Flagyli pulse.  I googled exzema and Cpn and found a few things but not a huge amount of data about correlation.  Just wondering since it was unusual after 40 years of not appearing... Any comments welcome....Len

Advice re Juggling Abx/Food?

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to juggle the CAPi protocol combined with specific food intake/restrictions recommendations in a 24 hour period...Especially when I add in metronidazolei at pulse time, which is to be taken with food 3 X per day, I face a bit of a conundrum (spelling?)...

Anyone Had No Reaction to Flagyl?

Has anyone had NO reaction to Flagyli whatsoever up to three days after completing the first full (400 mg X 3 times a day) pulse?  It makes me worry that perhaps Cpni is NOT the cause of my interstitial cystitisi after all.

 Here's why I thought Cpn WAS the cause (and after conversations with Dr. Statton, led to my trying the protocol empirically even though an antiibody test was negative which his writings say does not preclude Cpn):

- 2008 after only one day on mycobutin (rifabutin) experienced major chills, shaking, lost of appetite and ended up in hospital several days later with severe neutropeniai (Dr. S had mentioned this reaction in Cpn patients) - I didn't know about Cpn at that time

OMG, Missed a Macrolide Dose!

Help!  Because of the long weekend and not used to being off work I missed my Friday does of Azithromycin. At about 4:00 p.m. on Sunday I reailized this and ran and took it.  (I'm currently doing my first full pulse, not feeling any effects yet, though...)


Have I messed everything up?  Will this create resistance?  Any suggestion of how to get back on schedule?


Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.  Sending out a note seemed to beat the alternative of worrying about it for the next week....Regards, Len

Flagyl Dosing Advice?

Hi everyone!  I took a very cautious approach with my very first Flagyl pulse last weekend and took only one capsule to see what the die off would be (as per Dr. Statton's advice to go slow due to a previous overwhelming reaction to Rifabutin). Luckily had no reaction so not so nervous to take the next step towards the goal of a five day pulse. First, though, I hope you can help me with two questions:


1. If I had no die-off reaction to just one 400 mg dose of Flagyl last weekend, do I still have to wait 3-4 weeks to try a full one-day pulse, or could I try a full day's worth (i.e. 3 X 400 mg) only one week later (i.e. this weekend)?

Prep for First Tini Pulse

Hi folks.  I'm readying to do my first Tinii pulse. I noted that Dr. Stratton said some people try just one dose for the very first time and wait a week or so to see what level of reaction they can expect, rather than going with the full 5 day pulse the first time.


Does anyone advocate that cautious approach?  How long after trying the single does would I wait before embarking on a full 5-day Tini pulse?


(Thinking of the gentler option only because I ended up in hospital 2 years ago after being on Rifabutin for 1 week due to severe white blood cell count crash, although from what I've read the Tinidazole should not be quite as drastic!)


Help! First CAP reaction

Hoping that some of you may have some sage advice!  Started the CAPi in November, NACi (up to 1200 2/day), then doxyi 100 mg 1/day, then azithro 250 mg M, W, F). Last Sunday upped the Doxy to 100 mg 2/day.  Throughout this had no reaction until yesterday, when I experienced mostly gastointestinal problems (pain, discomfort) as well as pain in lower back and neck.  Felt sick enough to go to bed.  Unless a result of a tummy bug, I suspected perhaps porphyriai.  Last night I took 5 chlorella (1000 mg) and this am. took 2 activated charcoal 250 mg. for the first time, keeping it low until I see how I tolerate it.


1. Does this sound like porphyria symptoms?

Talke Doxy and Azithro Together?

Hello everyone.  I have just started the CAPi recently with two weeks of Doxyi (100 mg) and am about to start Aziithro on Monday.  Can any advise whether I should take the two antibioticsi together (i.e. at the same time) or space them out during the day?  Certainly would be easier to take together so I can space out other supplementsi, probiotics etc. but don't know if it is advisable (both are taken with food as a little hard on the stomach so it would be easy to take them with one of the meals of the day).


Any advice from the veterans on this site?


Thanks so much for your input!


NAC, Vit C Questions

Can someone clarify the NAC dosage for me? I read in the supplementsi chart that the dosage was 600 mg 2X  per day, but I also see elsewhere that one should ramp up to 2400 (i.e. 1200 2 X per day).  I am just starting on the protocol, is it correct to ramp up to the full 2400 mg of NAC daily before starting the doxycycline (my first antibiotic).


Also, I see the vitamin/supplement chart recommends 1 g Vitamin C 2 X per day. My local pharmacist recommends using regular ascorbic acid, not buffered, as I said I want to be cautious to prevent kidney stones with all of these supplementsi and calcium oxalate crystals in urine. Has anyone had any problems with taking 2 gm Vitamin C per day, unbuffered, such as gasto sensitivity, or other problems?


Which abx first: Doxy or Azithro?

Greetings folks.  I have finally find a doctor (after almost 2 years) willing to try the CAPi and will be starting it shortly once I have been on NACi and supplementsi for a few weeks.  My questions are:


1) From Sarah's description of Wheldon's schedule of treatment, after NAC, start with Doxyi, followed by Azithro once tolerated.  But from Stratton's protocol elsewhere, I see recommendations to start with the Azithro first followed by the Doxy.  Can anyone shed some light on this - i.e. does it matter which of the two main abxi is started first?

NAC and Health Risks?

Hello all!  I have not yet started the CAPi and am still trying to find a doctor in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada who will work with me to try the CAP empirically for Cpni (does anybody have any suggestions?).


In the meantime, I haven't even started NACi yet until I find a health care provider to support my journey.  But I have read some worrisome posts recently about NAC and negative impact on the heart or other negative effects.


Can anyone provide me with more information before I get started so I can make a decision about the NAC as a fundamental part of the protocol?  Are people switching to Amoxicillan and is there some evidence that they are not in fact interchangeable after all?  (Read some post about that...)


Severe Rifampin Reaction

A couple of years ago I had a severe reaction to Rifampin (specifically Mycobutin) that started 24 hours after the first dose (which I unfortunately continued taking for a full week thinking it was a flu or bad die-off), in the form of neutropeniai that required two weeks of hospitalization.  At that time I was trying a protocol for a cryptic bug suspected of being implicated in interstitial cystitisi.  (I am looking at starting the CAPi for IC; I do not have MSi.)  I now suspect that I actually have Cpni even though I tested negative with the antibody testing at Quest labs in the US in 2009. (currently off antibioticsi, on herbal supplementsi with help reduce IC symptoms somewhat but do not eliminate them).


I hope somebody can help me with some questions/concerns:

New Member: Cpn and Interstitial Cystitis

Hello all, I am new to this site as well as to blogging so please be patient while I figure out how to post and reply properly etc.  I tested negative (IgGi, IgA, IgM) on a recent lab blood test for Cpni but am wondering if I could still have a Cpn infection and if CAPi might help me.  I was originally diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in 1988 but turned out to have multiple UTIs as evidenced by broth cultures done by a lab specializing in this technique. After some improvement over a few years on various antibioticsi, I plateaued and now am suffering major UTIi symptoms; then I recently found out that a Vanderbilt University study discovered a high rate of Cpn in IC sufferers.


Syndicate content